Saturday, January 3, 2009

Worst. Day. Ever.

Are you KIDDING me?! So bad... we saw 5 houses... I can't go too far into it, too depressing, but i will tell you that today was totally a waste of a day, I had no idea real people lived in such hellholes, several individuals should be sued for false advertising, and I cried. Twice. Now i'm bed, sad, and just pissed. Where do these people get off selling these crap ass places for $1,700- 2000 a month?!

House #1: Very 70's. Lots of wall paper. Bad paint job - lots of purple. LOTS of wood paneling. Fridge from the 70's. Etc. Managed to avoid all of the bad in the online pics.

House #2: Austin's car couldn't go in the driveway. Seriously. The driveway was so steep we couldn't get down it. The lady was like well I guess it won't work then and started to get in her car. I was like no, let me at least see it. It was bada$$ as far as location and it had charm - but it was SO WEIRD! The bottom floor felt like 3 bedrooms and a kitchen and the top floor felt like four bedrooms. It was small, drafty, old and odd.

House #3: Farthest out house... and not even kind of worth what they were asking. Tiny bedrooms - only the master could fit a full-size bed - and the room that fit a pool table had it's own 'heating/cooling' system, was carpeted, etc. BAD.

House #4: VERY promising. Had the most curb appeal (by far), was in a pretty good area, was definitely the most modern, etc. But the pool table would only fit in the HUGE den with vaulted ceilings, the upstairs and actual stairs had heinous carpet and the kitchen appliances were very, very dated. And they were asking $2,000 a month... that's way too much for what they didn't do... SIGH.

House #5: Worst ever. I didn't even want to get out but Austin made me. You couldn't fit a full-size bed in any of the rooms, the windows were so old you couldn't see out of them, the full basement was a glorified garage, it was just SO SO BAD.

Please note: We're not stupid people. These people just post pictures well, and won't send you any more until you go see it and by then all it's done is waste everyone's time.

So I left the 5th house crying. I'm just SO PISSED. Mostly because I called this months ago - I knew I would be unable to rent a house because they're not fixed up like apt/condos/townhomes and I'm unable to fix them up myself. But whatever. I'm like Austin, here are our options:

1. Ditch the effing pool table and rent a condo or townhome. THESE are going for reasonable prices but none fit the pool table.
2. Buy. I can't rent these POS's and live in them unable to do what needs to be done (i.e. paint, take down wood paneling, paint fireplaces, take down wallpaper, etc.).

P.S. By ditch I mean have it at his parent's house until we can buy a home it will fit in.

That's it - I know I have 5 more rentals to look at but i'm at the end of my rope and i'm livid. You may be thinking, gah - she just found them yesterday - don't get discouraged. But we've been looking for MONTHS and these 10 were simply the best out of hundreds from numerous websites/searches/etc. And the 10 best don't even kind of cut it. What a joke. What a waste of time. I'm so bitter and upset now.

12 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Wow, Kel!

I'm SO sorry..... :(

I know this is a major disappointment for you and Austin both.

It does appear that the pool table is an issue and that storing it would be the solution under the present circumstances.

Finding a place would be SO much easier without having to take the pool table into consideration.

fittingbackin said...

I know... It was so incredibly depressing. There was truly only one I would have considered moving into and the pool table wouldn't fit and it STILL had NASTY carpet and the fridge/dishwasher would have to be replaced.... by us. AND I don't want to pay $2,000 a month for a rental. BLAH!!! I don't know what to do....

I would TOTALLY put it in storage, but that just puts us in a townhome - do we want that? I dunno - we so had our hearts set on a house. This just SUCKS.

Big Pissy said...

*sigh*.....it's so hard, isn't it? Finding a place you want inside the perimeter...

and $2000 a month is crazy! You may as well be paying a mortgage as to pay that in rent for something that isn't even what you really want. :(

I really AM sorry...

Anonymous said...

yeah, totally sucks. wow.

maybe a condo or townhome isn't such a bad thing, Kel. It would still be different for you -- is in it would have rooms with walls that you could treat as your separate spaces. Depending on the size, you may could do alot of your ideas!

Then you could stay in the perimeter in a NEW or NEWISH place with nice hardwood floors, neutral walls, white mouldings, new appliances, etc...

It would be a step up from where you are (as in more like a house rather than a loft), but without the responsibility of taxes, mortgage, and a yard!

I partially say this b/c Zach and i have been thinking of going that route ourselves. We have a vision for what we want, (and where we want it) and we can't afford it yet. But if we rent a condo or townhouse for a year or two and save our money, we could afford to buy what we want ITP.

Again, you and Austin will make it work and i'm so sorry today was so hard on you.

**HUGS**

fittingbackin said...

It IS - and believe me - a few weren't even ITP but they STILL are so proud. ARGH. Isn't it?!

Oh exactly - we're like well dang let's just buy - this is crazy. We've even seen some houses sell (yes, we've been looking forever) for $226,000 and people buy them and turn around and rent them for $1,900 - UM, crazy.

Thanks, mom - i'm super sad. Me and Austin are actually online now looking for houses. SIGH. It's hard not being rich in this city. haha

fittingbackin said...

Oh Dev ours went in at the same time! Haha

You make such a great point about what you/us will be able to afford vs. what you/us can afford now. Honestly – if we didn’t have the table it would be such a no-brainer. It really would. We just hate to lose it but it’s like hmmm. We could store it for 1 year/2 year tops while we save, save, save and then we can have it delivered and set up in a nice house where we want to be. It’s not ideal, and it isn’t fun to swallow, but it could be what is best. I certainly don’t want to rush into buying right now. :(

Right – I hear you on that – it is a step up without all of that responsibility! :) All I know is that we’re not renting a house. I just can’t do it. It would drive me up a wall! Haha Thanks for your support, Dev – it was just so disheartening!! I mean, I’m glad these are the biggest problems I have but STILL – sad.

*HUGS BACK* Love you!

Anonymous said...

PS. if you rent a townhouse it would probably have a garage (most seem to). Anyway, if you do that, then you could turn the garage into your gaming/pool table room!!! You guys could just park in the driveway (LOTS of people do that in houses I know!)

fittingbackin said...

TOTAL you never cease to amaze me! Austin had an empiphany - he remembered his buddy buying carpet and he carpeted the garage and had a pool table in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may have just solved our problem. And let's be honest - do we use a garage? Never have... And OMG Dev the townhomes i've found are AWESOME - like AWEWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Pissy said...

:)

Trust Devon to come up with a solution!

What a great idea!

Everything Devon said about townhouses makes PERFECT sense.

I could say more, but bottom line: LOVE THE IDEA!!!!

YEA!!!!!

p.s. maybe y'all could live closer to each other too. Bonus for us all! ;-)

fittingbackin said...

I think it's amazing - we're just LOVING the idea - for real. We've found 5 townhouses we want to see Saturday when Austin is back. We even did research on pool tables in non-temperature controlled rooms and it seems that there's no issue with our brand of tables!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so glad my ideas helped/worked! I was telling zach about it and he was worried about the temp/table situation so I'm so happy to hear that that will not be an issue!
Austin had a great idea about the carpeting! And you might be able to paint the walls... and if someone has, like, say a tool bench work table thingy in there, then we could totally spruce it up with curtain covers (to cover the shelves) and make it into a makeshift bar area! We could even hang a big, cool drum shade light over it and do a little table and chairs in that area!!! oh, the possibilities... :)

email the links to the townhouses! I'm dying to see them!

fittingbackin said...

That's a great idea!! (all of them - the paint/the hanging shade/the bar area - ALL AWESOME! Austin said carpet may not be necessary but it's not a bad idea. Really even a rug would work (but they're SO expensive).

DEF - i'll email them now!