Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Home Office

So, I'm still working on an official inspiration board for this room, but it did involve my first purchase for the house I don't own so I thought it made sense to post about it! First, know that the office is more an Austin thing then a me thing! He loves sitting at a desk, working at one, etc. The idea would be to have an office on the main floor that's closed off, but has french doors so you're not completely closed off. I'd love to see it have molding, high ceilings, wood floors, etc. For colors, we're sticking with our current colors, Austin's favorites, chocolate, black, taupe/camel and cranberry red. We already have a desk, computer, etc., and plenty of stuff to hang on the walls. He is lacking storage though and bookshelfs.

Here are some photos we like:


We like the shelves, idea of having a flat screen in there, etc. We also like the colors here. We don't like the whole shelves on each side thing.




Here we like the ladder shelves and the leather parsons chair. That's Target! Only $94! Here it is


In this one we love the idea of having two ladder shelves side-by-side, but with space in between. We also like that these have sides. However, we'd use them more for storage bins.



Like this one! We love that it has so many spots for hidden storage, and that big oganization board in the back is cool.


With this one we really just liked the art... the rest wasn't us.
So here is the desk we have now, it looks kind of small in this pic with the high ceilings/big art, but it's a great size for Austin:

We thought about getting the Parsons chair above, and getting two ladder bookshelves that we could get baskets for to put his stuff in (i.e. CD towers, cords, etc.). My favorite site, This Young House, suggested J.C. Penney's ladder shelves! I'd never thought of that store, so I checked it out and for TWO they were on sale for $89 each - AND I found a promo code online. So these below (we got in black) were $157.30 for TWO including shipping. Sorry, i'm very impressed, especially since they're much, much more at your Pottery Barns, etc, and I trust This Young House to not have me buy crap. Here are J.C. Penney's below - just picture them in black covered with Austin's books, records, and baskets like those filled with stuff. And ours won't be so side-by-side like that - we'll leave some space between.

They arrived on Saturday. I'm SO excited, our first purchase for the home we don't have! Austin won't even let me open them though. Sigh.

6 comments:

Big Pissy said...

Why don't you open them now and put them on either side of Austin's desk?

p.s. don't tell him I told you to do that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

haha I TOTALLY would but they won't fit. :( I REALLY want to put them somewhere but it's starting to look like a furniture gallery here! eek!

Big Pissy said...

hee hee!

"furniture gallery"

Anne said...

I love those shelves. Did you end up have to put holes in your wall for them? Are they on wood or carpet? Thanks for the help. I have a huge bare wall in our living room that these would look perfect on but I have zero desire to drill more holes in our plaster walls.

fittingbackin said...

Hey Anne! We didn't - we have it on carpet upstairs and it stays just fine without mounting! And we couldn't beat the price!!

Anne said...

Thanks for the info. We have wood floors through out our house so I'm not sure. You are right though...can't beat the price!