Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kitchen Renovations: Refacing Cabinets

Forgive me as i'm unsure where we found this... but we're VERY inspired by this kitchen!

BEFORE


AFTER


Clearly the remodeler spent LOTS of $ on cabinets to the ceiling, new cabinets with glass fronts, the granite slab against the back, the wood backsplash, moving the dishwasher, etc. Furthermore, I would not be interested in doing anything this extensive, certainly not in our first home. However, I think the greatest idea we got from it was for a refinishing...

So i've done a lot of research on cabinet refinishing/renovating/refacing and decided, depending on how much our home costs/how much we have for upgrades/etc. we may look at doing the cheapest option for the kitchen: refacing. This, "they" say can last for a long time and is the cheapest option. Basically it involves:
  1. Removing all cabinets/drawers from the kitchen and sanding them all down.
  2. Patching all holes of current hardware.
  3. Priming them and painting them a color (we LOVE the color above). What color would you call that?
  4. Adding new hardware (I heart the European Bar Pulls above).
  5. Putting them back on.

Yes, that's very oversimplified, but I’ve found lots of people who did it on their own and I’m super, super inspired by them:

Kitchen #1
Kitchen #2
Kitchen #3
Kitchen #4

This is where I want to buy my hardware (per numerous recommendations online):

myknobs.com

Here are some job aids I like:
This Young House Tutorial
Ron Hazelton Tutorial
Lowes Tutorial

So what do you think? I'm so excited!!!

No comments: